Why Keeping Your Website Updated Is Important
Keep getting prompts to update things on your website?
Perhaps you see a warning that a plugin is out of date or a notice to update WordPress to the latest version.
If you find this a bit confusing and you’re unsure of where to start, rest assured you’re not alone.
This post explains:
- why updating your website is so important;
- why WordPress plugins need to be updated;
- how a web developer can help with website updates;
- what are website maintenance care plans;
- what’s included in website maintenance packages and;
- how much website maintenance care plans cost.
Why is performing WordPress website updates important?
You wouldn’t invest your hard earned cash on a new car and never get it serviced, right? Just like a car, your website has a lot of moving parts that need to be checked and tweaked on a regular basis to stay up to speed. Keeping on top of your website ‘servicing’ will ensure it’s using the most up-to-date versions of software so it remains ahead of the game, secure and performing as best as it can.
Why does your website software need to be updated?
Your website software includes your website platform i.e. WordPress, your theme and your plugins. Plugins are added features on your website such as forms, image slideshows, Facebook or social media feeds, SEO plugins, performance plugins, etc. The creators of these different pieces of software regularly release updates that fix vulnerability or performance issues. Updating these as soon as possible reduces the chances of your website being hacked, loading slowly or not functioning as it should.
How can your web developer help?
Most web design companies offer website maintenance packages or care plans to their clients. At Hola we have a few different packages to suit varying client needs. We can update your website on a regular basis (either monthly or quarterly) or ad hoc. We only recommend a quarterly or ad hoc package for clients who don’t add content to their website regularly, don’t collect sensitive information from their users, and who don’t have a website shopping cart on their website.
What’s included in a website maintenance care plan?
Website care plan inclusions vary between each web maintenance company, however the types of things you can expect are:
- Website backups
- Securing/vulnerability scan
- If your site is effected by tech issues, malware, or accidentally edited/removed, your website can be restored to it’s former glory without stress
- Google Analytics tracking
- Database & post optimisation to make your website run faster
- PageSpeed testing
- Plugin, theme & WordPress updates
USER EXPERIENCE / WEBSITE CONVERSION BENEFITS:
- Regular recommendations for improving your website to ensure you’re attracting as many enquiries as possible
- Testing of forms on your website
- Detailed report of works completed & how your website is tracking
- Priority support over non-care plan clients
Hola proudly includes all these services in our WordPress website care plans.
How much does a website maintenance package cost?
Again, website maintenance prices can vary greatly depending on the web development company you choose. WordPress is an open source platform, meaning there are literally thousands of web development companies who can assist with the upkeep of your WordPress website. So you have a lot of awesome WordPress peeps like us to choose from.
At Hola, our prices start from $40 per month for monthly packages, or $165 for ad hoc updates (whenever you request them).
Want to see how we can help with your website maintenance? We’d love to hear from you. Get in touch today!
About the author
Hola! I'm Emma. I'm a freelance graphic designer and web designer at Hola Websites, founder of a little non-profit named By Faith Design Co, and a freelance design mentor. I'm also currently creating a course on how to build websites. In my spare time I love writing about my freelance life, creating pretty things and hanging out with my fur-baby.
Don’t be shy. Want to say hi and have a chat? Get in touch and let's start the convo about your exciting new project.